Development and Linear Permits

About Development and Linear Permits


Permit requirements are detailed in our District Rules and include the following categories:

  • Stormwater management (Rule C)
  • Flood control (Rule D)
  • Wetland management (Rule E)
  • Erosion and sediment control (Rule F)
  • Illicit discharge and connection (Rule G)


If your project impacts a wetland, it is subject to additional requirements through the Wetland Conservation Act (WCA). We process WCA requests for all areas within our boundaries except in St. Paul, where WCA is processed through the City of St. Paul. Follow this link for an interactive wetland inventory map. This map does not represent all wetlands in the District, and boundaries are considered approximate. A delineation may be required for proposed development near a wetland.

Fees and Escrow Surety

A $500 permit processing fee is required for non-public projects, along with a refundable escrow surety for projects involving:

  1. Erosion and Sediment Control (Rule F): $2,000 per acre OR

2. Erosion and Sediment Control and Stormwater Management (Rules C and F): $5,000 per acre

Sureties may be used to cover withdrawals resulting from permit non-compliance during construction. Click here for additional fee information.

Stormwater Maintenance

Best management practices for stormwater management (Rule C) require a site-specific Operations & Maintenance (O&M) Plan that includes a signed maintenance agreement between the District and property owner to ensure these practices continue to function as designed. An O&M checklist and example plan are available in the application materials below. A draft O&M plan will be required prior to issuance of the permit. A final, as-built O&M plan will be required prior to permit closure.

Joint City Maintenance Agreements

If the project is in Maplewood or Roseville, joint maintenance agreements with these cities are also available below.


Maplewood Joint Maintenance Agreement in Word format.


Roseville Joint Maintenance Agreement in Word format.

Staff Contact

If you have any questions regarding the permitting process, please contact Nicole Maras.