Citizen Advisory Committee
CAC Activities and Accomplishments
We value the voices of our residents. The Citizen Advisory Committee (CAC) strengthens our connections with the community through member representation from cities, businesses, organizations, and volunteer groups throughout the District, all of whom are dedicated to preserving and improving water resources. Citizen advisors assist the Board of Managers by providing input on District operations and planning, furthering public education and participation, and supporting event planning and implementation, among other activities.
Create and deliver community outreach:
- Developed a Phalen Chain of Lakes Water Trail Map outlining routes, restorations, and interesting sites for navigating the Chain by non-motorized boat, winter travel, or hike.
- Acted as a liaison between the Watershed and CAC member’s communities within the District
- Developed educational materials and displays, including salt use/pollution, pet waste, goldfish as an invasive species, etc.
- Supported Watershed District events, including staffing booths at WaterFest and Phalen Freeze Fest.
- Solicited and evaluated nominations for the Annual Watershed Excellence Awards. Awards recognize community members for making a positive difference in water quality in the District.
Provide Volunteer Support for district projects:
- Cleaned out, weeded, and helped maintain rain gardens for residents who were unable to complete the physical work.
- Assisted staff in installing native plants at various restorations throughout the Watershed District, including Snail Lake Regional Park, Keller Park, and Lake Phalen Park.
- Provided input to staff on the District’s Management Plan as well as other District initiatives.
- Evaluated ideas for District events and educational initiatives.
- Gave input on plans and projects at the request of community members.
Gain deeper understanding:
- Increased members’ knowledge of water quality topics and watershed management through staff presentations and field visits, including capital budget, watershed projects, invasive species identification and management, and the Stewardship Grant program.
CAC In Action
Want to be a member of the CAC?
Please, reach out to Carrie Magnuson to learn more about the CAC and how you can contribute!