Round Lake – Maplewood
This small 30-acre lake can be explored by canoe or kayak.
Round Lake is located in the city of Maplewood and flows to Lake Phalen through two different channels. Round Lake is surrounded by parkland and primarily used for canoeing, picnicking, wildlife habitat and aesthetic viewing.
- Tributary area: 600 acres
- Downstream waterbody: Lake Phalen
- DNR code: 62‑0012P (click for LakeFinder data)
- Surface area: 30 acres
- Maximum depth: 8 feet
- MPCA designations: Shallow lake
- Accountable municipalities: Maplewood, St. Paul, Ramsey County
- Nutrient water quality classification: Stable
The following graphs show the growing season average measurements in Round Lake for chlorophyll-a, total phosphorus and secchi transparency. Round Lake is sampled for water quality parameters every two weeks from May through September. Round Lake was listed as impaired for excess nutrients in 2002. However, more recent water quality studies indicated Round Lake is meeting state standards, and the lake was removed from the impaired waters list in 2010.